"Why ferrets of all animals?" is a question I get asked a lot.
I can't definitively point to one reason why I picked ferrets, though I remember my older sister being obsessed with them when we were younger. When my mother approached the possibility of getting a new pet for me (my pet rabbit, Lily, died of lung cancer the previous year), I took my time to look at all my options.
The only constraint I had was that it had to be a small pet; one which could live within the space we had. This was established after I asked (jokingly) if I could have a pony. I also knew that, as I would be living in student accommodation, I might not have been able to take my pet with me, so it would have to stay at home. Knowing my mother's distaste for snakes, I reluctantly crossed them off the list of potential pets.
I considered rats, hamsters, and other small rodents, only to be confronted with a potentially short lifespan. I wasn't prepared to become emotionally attached to an animal only for it to pass away two years later.
Remembering my sister's admiration of ferrets, I decided to look into them, and after a couple hours of research, and several ferret YouTube videos, I was sold.
I trawled through the internet, until I came across a man who lived relatively locally, who was looking to sell the kits of his ferret, who had recently given birth. For six weeks, as I waited for my ferret to be old enough for collection. In the meantime, I researched ferret care at every opportunity, and purchased all the necessary equipment for housing and caring for my new ferret. I frequently received updates about my ferret as she grew.
Eventually, the day which I was due to collect my ferret rolled around.
After a two hour journey, armed with a travel crate, I was finally face to face with my ferret. At eight weeks old, she was still small enough to fit in my hand. She wriggled, and had a faintly sweet, musky smell. The second I held her, my heart melted. I was in love.
I definitely made the right choice for me. As much as I loved my rabbit, I am most certainly a ferret person. I'd walk outside, and take Tarryn along with me, first in my hood or on my shoulder, then on a lead. I'd be stopped a lot, but I didn't mind - I'd use it as an opportunity to educate people, and to correct many misconceptions held about ferrets.
And then one day, as I popped to the high-street to get some supplies, a lady stopped me on the street. This in itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me when Tarryn was wandering around on a lead. Then the conversation morphed into something I wasn't expecting at all. I was asked if I wanted another ferret.
This lady informed me that she also had a ferret, and she'd also had another ferret wander into her
garden. After ensuring that nobody was looking for her, this lady had taken the homeless ferret in, and after one trip to the vets, it was established she was a female... And pregnant. Now this woman was trying to find homes for each of these little kits, and there I was, stumbling into her path with a ferret of my own in tow.
Of course, I gleefully said yes, and that's the story of how I took in Luna. This little albino lunatic, came to me as a tiny 6 week old kit who could fit in one hand, and weighed a tiny 260g, Two weeks later, she'd piled on the weight, and weighed in at 440g (1lb). Now, a month on, Luna - who is thicker around the neck and broader - feels a similar weight, if not heavier to her full grown adoptive sister (Tarryn is a relatively small ferret, only 640g).
We'll be going to the vets this week, for her to get her first round of canine distemper vaccines, and I'll find out how much she's actually grown at this marker - 12 weeks.
I've begun this blog in order to document my life as the ferret mum to two mischief makers, and to help break down some of the many misconceptions people have about ferrets. As many ferret welfare blogs and sites I see tend to be based in America, I hope to also outlining suggestions for ferret care in the UK. Obviously, I'm no vet or expert in any way, but I'll use my own experiences in order to help anyone!
That's all for now. Until next time!
I can't definitively point to one reason why I picked ferrets, though I remember my older sister being obsessed with them when we were younger. When my mother approached the possibility of getting a new pet for me (my pet rabbit, Lily, died of lung cancer the previous year), I took my time to look at all my options.
The only constraint I had was that it had to be a small pet; one which could live within the space we had. This was established after I asked (jokingly) if I could have a pony. I also knew that, as I would be living in student accommodation, I might not have been able to take my pet with me, so it would have to stay at home. Knowing my mother's distaste for snakes, I reluctantly crossed them off the list of potential pets.
I considered rats, hamsters, and other small rodents, only to be confronted with a potentially short lifespan. I wasn't prepared to become emotionally attached to an animal only for it to pass away two years later.
Remembering my sister's admiration of ferrets, I decided to look into them, and after a couple hours of research, and several ferret YouTube videos, I was sold.
I trawled through the internet, until I came across a man who lived relatively locally, who was looking to sell the kits of his ferret, who had recently given birth. For six weeks, as I waited for my ferret to be old enough for collection. In the meantime, I researched ferret care at every opportunity, and purchased all the necessary equipment for housing and caring for my new ferret. I frequently received updates about my ferret as she grew.
![]() |
| A tiny Tarryn at 8 weeks old, the first night she came home. |
After a two hour journey, armed with a travel crate, I was finally face to face with my ferret. At eight weeks old, she was still small enough to fit in my hand. She wriggled, and had a faintly sweet, musky smell. The second I held her, my heart melted. I was in love.
I definitely made the right choice for me. As much as I loved my rabbit, I am most certainly a ferret person. I'd walk outside, and take Tarryn along with me, first in my hood or on my shoulder, then on a lead. I'd be stopped a lot, but I didn't mind - I'd use it as an opportunity to educate people, and to correct many misconceptions held about ferrets.
And then one day, as I popped to the high-street to get some supplies, a lady stopped me on the street. This in itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me when Tarryn was wandering around on a lead. Then the conversation morphed into something I wasn't expecting at all. I was asked if I wanted another ferret.
This lady informed me that she also had a ferret, and she'd also had another ferret wander into her
![]() |
| Luna, the first night she came home. She climbed into my hood and curled up to sleep at the base of my neck. |
Of course, I gleefully said yes, and that's the story of how I took in Luna. This little albino lunatic, came to me as a tiny 6 week old kit who could fit in one hand, and weighed a tiny 260g, Two weeks later, she'd piled on the weight, and weighed in at 440g (1lb). Now, a month on, Luna - who is thicker around the neck and broader - feels a similar weight, if not heavier to her full grown adoptive sister (Tarryn is a relatively small ferret, only 640g).
We'll be going to the vets this week, for her to get her first round of canine distemper vaccines, and I'll find out how much she's actually grown at this marker - 12 weeks.
I've begun this blog in order to document my life as the ferret mum to two mischief makers, and to help break down some of the many misconceptions people have about ferrets. As many ferret welfare blogs and sites I see tend to be based in America, I hope to also outlining suggestions for ferret care in the UK. Obviously, I'm no vet or expert in any way, but I'll use my own experiences in order to help anyone!
That's all for now. Until next time!



No comments:
Post a Comment